Money. What comes to your mind? What did you feel with that word? Have you ever had a good conversation around money?
If you are like most people, you probably shy away from money conversations. It may be because of a lack of knowledge. It may be because you are uncomfortable talking about. It may be because we are taught not to talk about it. Whatever the reason, let’s change it together.
I dislike that we do not talk about money. Why?
I see the impact. I’ve talked to hundreds of people about money. Through those conversations, I have come to understand that most people feel stressed, anxious, guilty, envious, uneducated, afraid to ask questions, unaware of their worth, and make life-altering decisions without knowing the consequences.
I want to change it. I want people to have a better relationship with money. I want people to talk about money.
The more you familiarize yourself with something, the more confident you become. You deserve more confidence talking about money.
On this blog, you will find my thoughts on money. And probably many other things. After all, money intersects many aspects of life.
Some posts may be more educational. Others focused on getting you to reflect. At this point, I am unsure of the format. I knew I wanted to write about money, so here we are.
A few things you probably should know about me:
- I love talking about money! When friends (and often, acquaintances) sheepishly ask about their 401(k), how much is “normal” to save, or how to improve their credit, I am excited. Just don’t ask me if I think XYZ is a good investment if I know nothing about your financial situation. That drives me nuts.
- I can be very blunt. I’ve always been blunt. But when your dad is diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer when you are age 25, you become even more blunt. Life’s too short to dance around words.
- I’m an introvert. I don’t love large groups. I love one-on-one conversations. Hearing a life story is a privilege – made even better if I can get them to open up about money.
- This is a side project. The opinions and ideas on this website are my own – not that of my employer.
- I grew up in Olympia, WA. I moved to Seattle for college. I stuck around. I feel fortunate to have traveled many places. The PNW is home.
- My latest endeavors include running, biking and learning the guitar. I love hiking and tennis, but do not do them enough.
Welcome to the community! My hope is that you come away with something – education to build confidence, inspiration to change something, or the courage to have a money conversation – with yourself or another.